Contact us Sitemap Greek


resize fonts
reset click to decrease font size click to increase fonts size
SendSend Print Print
You are here:  » Homepage » Company » History
History
 

A Success Story

 
The presence of Giannakopoulos family in the area of medicine begins in 1924, when Dimitrios Giannakopoulos owned one of the first pharmacies in Athens.

 

The first milestone of further development was the year 1951, when Paul Giannacopoulos founded the PHARMAGIAN company. PHARMAGIAN started strongly with its commercial activities expanding rapidly throughout Greece.

PHARMAGIAN was for several years the representative of large international pharmaceutical companies, such as Janssen Pharmaceutical, Roussel and Alcon.


The second milestone was the year 1971, when the company was reconstituted as a societé anonyme (S.A.) and adopted its current trade name.


Since then, VIANEX follows a course of rapid evolution and recognition, establishing strategic partnerships with leading international pharmaceutical companies, such as Merck & Co (USA), Takeda Chemical Industries (Japan), Boots (Britain), Sigma Tau Industries (Italy).

 

The high standards of quality and its operational effectiveness soon led its partners to entrust VIANEX with the production -under license-of their patented pharmaceutical products at its factories.


Consequently, the manufacturing activities of the firm began in 1974 with the construction of its brand new Plant A’, by the Athens-Lamia National Road.


In 1983, the plant of Winthorp-Sterling company in Pallini was bought (Plant B’), while in 1985 VIANEX acquired the plant of Upjohn (Plant C’) in the same area.

 

Both these plants were modernized and technologically upgraded and their production lines were extended. Since then, not only the productive capabilities of VIANEX have been expanded considerably, but also the specialization programme put in practise has boosted the Company’s growth to prominence.

 

In 1997, VIANEX bought the premises of Hoechst Hellas at Varibobi to house its Headquarters and the Distribution Center of its finished products.


In 1999, the antibiotics production unit of the Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Technology, situated at the Patras Industrial Zone (Plant D’), was purchased and underwent extensive renovation to meet the highest manufacturing standards.

 

Year after year, VIANEX leads the Greek Pharmaceutical Industry to face the challenges of the new era.

© 2008 VIANEX S.A. - All rights reserved designed by Creative Marketing S.A. | OSMIUM™ on DynamicWEB®